St. Peter Claver Catholic Church and St. Pius V Catholic Church, each has a long history of dedicated service to the African American Community of West Baltimore. Both have been served by the Josephite priests and brothers from their beginnings. Established by the Josephites, St. Peter Claver Church was dedicated on Sunday, September 9th, 1888. The roots of St. Pius V Church began in 1907 as St. Barnabas Church located at Biddle Street and Argyle Avenue. When the congregation outgrew its first home, parishioners proudly marched to their new church, St. Pius V located at Edmondson Avenue and Schroeder Street, on July 12, 1931.
Since 1968, the community of West Baltimore experienced many changes. While efforts at urban renewal had some success, there was a resulting decline in neighborhoods. In 2005, St. Pius V moved to St. Peter Claver. Today, St. Peter Claver and St. Pius V serve the community and the church as “One in the Spirit.”
We, the people of God of the catholic faith community of Sts. Peter Claver and Pius V, through divine inspiration, wisdom, and the grace of Jesus' love, commit to making a difference in our spiritual lives. "One in the Spirit," we surrender ourselves to the power of love, respect, determination, and diversity as we evangelize.
TV Heritage Spotlight